Today in class we had some great debates. The activity was about starting a new civilization. There were 12 people who wanted to be saved, but they could only pick 6. Then, they had to defend their decisions. One of the 12 choices was a man with a religion. Only one out of nine groups picked this guy. They defended their decision quite well. "If we are going to start a new civilization we think they should have a belief. Everyone should have a belief. " I was feeling great... Yeah! You tell them!! ;) but... Then the debate kept going. I decided to let it. I was curious what they would say. One guy (he was sitting directly behind me) said quite loudly and clearly "G0d won't help you when your in trouble!"
They all know I'm a chsrtian, and I had a little reaction to that. Everyone gasped and looked at me. The boy was a little embarrassed. I wasn't upset with him, I was reminded that this is the philosophy of the majority of Chnese people. They are lost. They think people should have a belief, some even want one, they just don't know where to go or what to believe. So, they believe in what they see- themselves, their job, money and power. Earthly, temporary things.
Keep us all here in your thoughts please! We've got quite our work cut out for us. I'm thankful that I know someone who WILL help when I'm in trouble ;)
Picture: here are my students "writing down" their homework. They take a picture of their vocabulary words... Makes me laugh all the time. Does this happen in America?

No comments:
Post a Comment