Wednesday, June 27, 2012

That's different

People always say it's harder to go back to America than it was to go to China. Culture shock gets you as soon as you get off the plane. People here are much different than in China. It's amazing how much you forget about America being gone for only ten months.

I went to Menards the other day and I felt like I was in a different world. I felt confused, like I didn't know which words to use to ask them things or describe what I needed. The parking lot was so big, the store was huge, clean, and completely in English! I needed to get a copy of my key. In China, I would first have to find a key maker (just look for a big, yellow, plastic key), then give them my key and tell them how many copies I wanted. That part is easy. The hard part is for the maker, they copy your key by hand. Yes, they use a machine, but in America you stick the old key in, a blank key, and close the lid! In China there is quite a skill in key making.

There are other things that are different, things that are a bit more important than how each country makes keys, but that's for another time.

If any of you are in the area, I'm doing a presentation on July 8th at St. Luke's in Oakfield. I'll talk about my experience and how it has affected my life! It's at 10am. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment