Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Test Mishaps

A while ago I wrote and administered a test to my History and Culture of the UK class. We covered topics like family, food, holidays, school, work, class, race, health problems, and a few other topics. At the end we had a written test. This meant I got to correct all of the tests! Although it got a bit annoying by the end, there were a few answers along the way that made me laugh. Also, a few that made me sad.

Question: Describe the typical British family.
Answer: After talking about how they get married when they are a bit older, one student said, "of course, some of them fall in love without any reason and just say, 'let's get married, baby!'"

Question: Tell me everything you know about a holiday (I gave them 4 to choose from, one was Chr-stmas)
Answer: Chr-stmas is the birth of _____- he actually left a blank. At least he knew it was the birth of someone!

Question: Which Catholic would be terrorist is remembered on the fifth of November? (correct answer: Guy Fawkes)
Answers: Hitler, Frank Catholic (not sure if this is a real guy), the building in America (what?????!!!!!! did I teach them anything?)

Question: List three Christi-n festivals
Answer: bread and potatoes, fish and chips, steak

Question: What has happened to Chr-stianity and why? (correct answer- it has become less popular)
Answer: The reasons for this may be the freedom of belief in UK. People are no longer restricted by the religion. What's more, because of the development of science, many people believe in the truth rather than Chr-stianity. (ouch! This is what we are working with over here :( )

I tried to be a light in this class. We talked about a lot of difficult topics. By the end, they all knew I was a Chr-stian. Sadly, some just found out at the last class (I thought they knew earlier...)

I'm hoping to teach this class again next year. We'll see if I get similar answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment