I was biking home tonight from school when I remembered I needed to add money to my phone. I pulled alongside my street to a small shop. After leaving the shop "bag lady" came up to me. She is a lady I see just about every day outside her shop. She started stroking my arm and we had this conversation (all in Chinese)
"British?"
"American"
"Oh, do you have a boyfriend?"
"no"
"Do you want a boyfriend? I have a son, you can marry my son"
"No thanks, I don't want to"
"why not?" (hmm... where do I start with answering this question...)
"I can't speak Chinese."
"He can teach you!"
"No, I don't want" (not knowing what else to say to have her stop touching me and let me go)
"You can look in my shop for some nice bags" (my guess is he was inside that shop at that time. I do know what he looks like already.)
"no thank-you" and I tore my arm away from her, jumped on my bike, and was off. yikes... at least I know that if I wanted a husband RIGHT now, I could... sadly, it's only because I'm white.
Next time anyone asks if I have a boyfriend I will reply "有!" (yo). Which means, "have". It's much easier that way...
No comments:
Post a Comment