America: People make appointments, then wait in the waiting room until their name is called. As you wait you watch tv or read old magazines. Sometimes there is quiet music in the background.
China: People make appointments (sometimes) but you don't really have to get there on time. People wait next to the current person getting their dental work done so they can be sure to be next. There is a Chinese soap opera on in the "waiting" room if anyone wants to sit down. Otherwise you hear music blasting from the streets (even while you are in the chair)
America: Dentists speak English.
China: Not all speak English, so a translator is needed. Thanks Adam!
America: The hygienist preps you for anything that needs to be done. She/he is also at the dentist's side to aid in any way needed.
China: There are no hygienists, the doctor does any prep work needed as well as any busy work to get ready for the day. He/she is also the only hands in your mouth, ever.
America: You have detailed records on file at the dentist. If you switch dentists, you can ask for your file.
China: They give you a book when you get there to keep your records. You bring it back every time you go. If you go to a different dentist, you get a new book.
America: There are at least 3-4 utensils in your mouth at all times: mirror, water spitter, water sucker, and the drill (sorry, don't know all the technical terms)
China: There are 2 utensils in your mouth: mirror and drill. You spit in a sink and rinse your own mouth.
America: They numb you up and may even give you laughing gas.
China: They only numb you if you beg them too.
America:You have individual cubicles for privacy.
China: You are all in the same room so if someone screams in pain, you all hear it. Short story: There was a lady next to me who was getting something done. I heard her moaning and flinching quite often.
America: You are taken to a back room to get your work done. It is away from any distractions.
China: You are taken towards the back (sort of) but can still hear the street and anyone outside. Outside people can also look inside and see what's going on.
America: They put the fillings in each individual tooth so you can still floss once you go home.
China: They put the filling across the teeth so there are no gaps, which means, shorter time spending on flossing!
America: The filling fits perfectly on your teeth so you don't even notice that there is a filling in your mouth.
China: The filling is smooth, and I can tell that something is different in that part of the mouth.
America: You can't eat anything hard on the side of the filling for 24 hours.
China: You can't eat anything hard on that side of the filling forever! Yeah, not sure how that's going to work. :(
America: Everything is clean and looks perfect.
China: I'm assuming everything is clean, but not sure. I do know my light would flicker every once in a while. Also, not sure what caused it.
America: The dentist wears goggles and magnifying glasses to 1) keep anything flying around you out of their eyes and 2) allow them to see better.
China: No glasses for either dentist or patient. I got a little something near my eye once. But it was ok, I got it out. :)
America: After you've finished with your work you leave and say bye to the dentist.
China: After you've finished with your work, you get a photo op with the dentist and your translator.
America: Before you leave you pay whatever your insurance doesn't cover.
China: Before you leave you pay 200rmb (about $31) for a filling.
Even during the dental work, I could tell things were different, but I don't know how to explain them to you. What have I learned from this experience... if possible, don't go to a Chinese dentist, but if you have to, you will survive. I had an encouraging thought from a fellow FoCer, "Going to the dentist in China is one of my worst nightmares... and your living it!" -Aaron S.
I survived. Even at the dentist HE was at my side. I was nervous and afraid of what would happen, but I kept remembering the passages that I learned when I was little about trusting in HIM and casting all my cares on HIM. I survived and you could to. Here's the man who fixed my cracked filling....
| I like how she included the bar in the picture. |
No comments:
Post a Comment