Traveling to work in America is simple. My guess is that the majority of you drive your car. Maybe a few of you walk or take a bike. Even less of you probably take the bus. None of you (to my knowledge) have ever taken the subway to work. Here is a simple blog about the variety of ways I can go to work. I have put them in the order of most likely to least likely. Notice that none of them include me driving a car...
1. Bike- it's healthy, free, and fast! I can stop to get fruit, vegetables, and meat for dinner and be on my way. At only 10-15 minutes per trip, it's faster than the bus!
2. Subway- super clean and really close! This is the lazy way I usually go to school. Door to door is about 20 minutes (depending on my walking speed) cost: 32 cents
3. School bus- no, it's not a little yellow bus with a red stop sign. It's a big brown van. Most companies provide transportation for their workers. My school bus picks me up about a 5 minute walk from my place. Only problem- if I miss the bus, I'll be late for school. Total time: about 15-20 min
4. Walk- nothing to explain here, just a 30 minute walk in the great sunshine!
5. Motorcycle- No, I don't have one, but many people in China do! You can find them all over. Older men sitting on street corners waiting for the next customer. It's not really through a company at all, you can just tell them where you want to go and negotiate a price. I don't usually use them because they are a bit more expensive than other transportation and I'm not usually running that late. Time: 10 minutes Price: $.80- $1.20
6. Public bus- There's a bit of a hike to the nearest bus stop, but it's an option if I need it. Cost: 29 cents
7. Taxi- Because of the one way streets near my area this is very inconvenient. I have never taken one to or from school, but it's an option if I'm coming from a different place. Price: about $2.40
Wow! 7 ways to get to school. I guess I can never have an excuse as to why I didn't show up!
p.s.- I could also take a black taxi- those are random cars that offer you a ride. Don't worry, not super popular and not that unsafe either. Never taken one, but I know other Focers who have.
p.p.s.- I also forgot one! I can get dinked! This is when I sit on the back of Nicole's bike like I'm riding side-saddle on a horse and she gives me a ride to or from school. Perfect for a time when only one of us has a bike and we both need to get home!
No comments:
Post a Comment