Monday, March 18, 2013

Keeping busy

This semester has started out quite well. I've gotten myself into a bit of a routine, which has been nice. Part of my routine includes tutoring an older man. He's about 48 and is hoping to go to America as a visiting scholar. I don't know exactly what that means, but I do know that it includes being invited by a university and given opportunities to teach some lectures (at least I'm pretty sure). He's trying to improve his English quickly so that he can be accepted into this program. I've been working with him twice a week for the past few months. He's taught me a lot about Chinese culture and isn't shy to talk about ANYTHING! Today we had a fun converstion.

Jefferson: [looking at my pictures on the wall] Jess, you are beautiful, but there is a problem with some of your pictures.
Me: Well, thanks. What's the problem?
Jefferson: Well, the problem is you don't wear enough make up or tight clothes. You would be more beautiful if you did that. In this picture you aren't standing up straight- it makes you look like your not confident. (I changed the English to sound more fluent)
Me: Yeah, I don't like to wear too much make-up, it takes too long.

Hmm... didn't know how to respond to this one... :o) It's ok, he's a great guy and works really hard. Maybe some day I'll take his advice and wear more make- up.

I've also been volunteering at our local English-speaking coffee house. They now have California ice cream!!!!!! This month's flavor.... Mint Chocolate Chip!! For some of you, you know it's my favorite!!! I've had a few already, keep going back for more :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment