Yesterday I spent the majority of my day in Hankou. For those of you that don't know where it is, it's about an hour bus ride north, or east, possibly west or south (can you tell I'm not good with directions in this city). Anyways, it's where 6 other of our FoCers live. We need to rent a new apartment, so I have joined them in the search.
After sitting in hot offices, looking at three apartments, and not really wanting any of them, we decided to go back home for supper. The last apartment was nice and the landlords really tried to talk us into getting it, but the price and location wasn't really what we wanted- still an option though.
After supper I helped Nicole move her new roommate from Hankou to Wuchang (where she and I live). Her roommate isn't the typical roommate and the first taxi didn't want his hair in his taxi (yup, it's a boy, named Rom- short for Romulus). The next taxi driver was much nicer. We helped Rom get in the back seat and off we went! After some time, the taxi driver started talking to me and asking all the typical questions: where am I from, what am I doing in China, how much money do I make, and if I am married. I told him I was not married, but that I did have a boyfriend, a foreign boyfriend- even though I am single (I've learned from past mistakes- see post entitled "Just say 有 you"), that you sort of need a boyfriend if you don't want to get set up with their son/ or grandson. After that, I ran out of vocabulary, but he didn't run out of ideas to talk about. So the next 10 minutes I spent saying, I don't understand and sorry, what does ____ mean?
We got Rom back safely, rearranged Nicole's apartment a bit so that there was room for his cage (Rom is a rabbit if you haven't discovered) and I quickly went to bed. This morning I was up at 6:30am and ready for my day! Oh, what jet-lag does to me...
No comments:
Post a Comment